Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Top Chef Las Vegas 10/21

RESTAURANT WARS.

I was looking forward to this all day (it helps when you have the day off and don't need to think about important stuff). Bravo was showing the restaurant wars episodes from seasons past and I caught the one from the first season, which I hadn't seen before. They had 3 vs. 3 for that one. Crazy. Then again, there were fewer diners as well. I was surprised that Stephen survived - was a prick for the whole season, or just that episode? - but fortunately he got PYKAG'd in the next episode.

I hope they bring back the tag team quickfire, because that was a really fun and original challenge. It needs to be a staple like the relay race.

I was a little bummed that the chefs weren't in charge of the decor. Sure, the decor comes second to the food, but it allows the cheftestants to show off a different side.

This is the last time I prognosticate about what happens on Top Chef. I was certain that one of the stronger chefs would be eliminated, specifically Jennifer or a Voltaggio brother. And I was doubly certain after seeing the teams that Jennifer/Kevin/Mike/Laurine would win, given that their personalities wouldn't clash. Well the only thing I got right was that Robin would survive to die another day. The chefs for Mission didn't clash but nobody took charge, either - Michael is a domineering hardass, but he gets results and his team pulled through.

The real bone of contention is: should Laurine have been kicked off? Honestly, the judges could have sent Jennifer home and I would have understood completely. She's the better chef by a long shot, but Laurine had a slightly better showing. "Slightly" being the operative word. Hell, I would've wilted too.

Power Rankings!

1. Bryan
2. Kevin
3. Michael
4. Jennifer
5. Eli
6. Mike
7. Robin

Not that it matters anymore. With the stronger chefs surviving restaurant wars by a hair, it'll be smooth sailing for the top four until the final few episodes. It's possible that the Voltaggio Brother Death Feud could send one into a tailspin and leave a spot open for Mike or Eli, but the top four are just that damn good. Remember, it's been nine episodes and they are the only ones to have won an elimination challenge. That's ridiculous.

No comments: