Sunday, December 5, 2010

Brief thoughts on The Secret in Their Eyes

I'll be concise and to the point: The Secret in Their Eyes is an Argentinean crime drama that won the 2010 Academy Award for Best Foreign Film. It's good. You should watch it.

But I do want to highlight some quotes from reviews of the film. Slate sums up the movie best by calling it "a really long, really awesome episode of Law & Order set in Buenos Aires," which is better praise than I could come up with. Roger Ebert describes Ricardo Darin's character as "one of those men on whom a beard seems inevitable." Once again, he's right on the money, and as a bearded man I appreciate his insight (although in this case, I hope I'm not quite like that character).

If I may be so humble as to add my own insights to the movie, it's real genius is that its three best scenes are not only back-to-back-to-back but that the first is brilliantly written, the second brilliantly staged, and the third brilliantly acted. The Secret in Their Eyes is a procedural at heart, and a melodramatic one at that, but it uses its few flourishes to better effect than any movie I've seen all year.

No comments: