Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The 2011 Oscars Power Rankings

So I did it. It took me from last summer until tonight, but I watched all ten films from 2010 that were nominated for Best Picture. I didn't intend to explicitly, I just wanted to see all of them. Most years there's at least one that I have no desire to watch - for instance, The Blind Side last year. Naturally, I've seen all of these roughly over the course of a year, so direct comparisons are difficult. I'll just do things based on tiers.

The Social Network
Inception


The Kids Are All Right
Black Swan


True Grit
The Fighter
Toy Story 3


The King's Speech
127 Hours
Winter's Bone


Bear in mind that none of these movies were bad, or even mediocre. The bottom three had some great performances, case in point, Colin Firth in The King's Speech.

Order really only matters with the first two; I genuinely believe that The Social Network was the best picture of the bunch, and possibly the best movie I saw in 2010, but I'll be damned if Inception wasn't really, really fun. The next two movies were a step down in quality but still very good albeit for completely different reasons (TKAR's cast, Black Swan's aesthetics). I think this list also makes it pretty clear where I stand on The King's Speech winning Best Picture... but that's a different topic entirely.

No comments: