Thursday, July 30, 2009

Top Chef Masters power rankings (7/30)

1. Lo
2. Bayless
3. Keller
4. Smith
5. Chiarello

The ranking system for Top Chef Masters takes a bit of the fun out of creating my own power rankings, but this is what I'd come up with even if I hadn't seen how many stars each chef received (for the record, my ranking going into the episode was Keller, Bayless, Lo, Chiarello, Smith, Tracht).

There's an obvious gap between the top three and the rest of the competition. Keller had an off night, but even his off nights are pretty good. Bayless surprised me by not putting a Mexican spin on Chiarello's dish during the elimination challenge. I'd always suspected that if Bayless were to lose TCM it would be because he was forced out of his comfort zone, but here he proved adept at branching out. Lo is the surprise of the bunch. She's unlike your run of the mill cheftestant in that she's not going to win Miss Personality anytime soon, nor is she particularly photogenic. She just kicks ass, takes names, and cooks some solid dishes.

No comments: